After months of preparation, the team set off early from just outside, the first ever Lutine office in Newhall Street, Birmingham, shortly after 5am last Friday. With empty streets and a good tail wind, despite an early puncture they quickly reached their first stop in Knightscote, to enjoy morning coffee and croissants in a lovely rural setting – and it was only after 7:00am!
Then came the longest section of the day finally stopping in the picturesque Buckinghamshire village of Quainton where the team happily demolish some bacon sarnies (more calories) at the George & Dragon coffee shop before jumping back on their bikes to push on through the Chilterns into West London.
Potholes struck on the outskirts of Aylesbury, (and puncture number two) saw the team lose a little time in getting to the final coffee stop at the Rowan Garden Centre in Chalfont St Peter. The Lycra-clad team draw plenty of attention as they arrive at this quiet country garden centre and are fussed over by the lovely coffee shop ladies!
The team ‘put the pedal to the metal’ and enjoy the sights of London after almost 10 hours on the saddle (plus a few refuel stops). They make their entrance into Leadenhall at approximately 4.20pm and are delighted to be greeted by colleagues bearing sausage rolls and liquid refreshments plus can’t wait to get out of their cycling shoes!
With help from fellow colleagues and kind sponsors, the team have currently raised well over £6k, and are still collecting donations and holding further fundraising activities. You can follow their progress and support the team via their fundraising site or you can text ‘RIDE’ to 70660 to donate £5. You’ll be charged the donation amount plus your standard network text charge. Mind will receive 100 per cent of your donation. Call 020 8215 2243 if you have any questions about your payment.
A big thanks to the Ride4Life team members:
- Andy Coles, Director – Lutine
- Gary Bennett, Business Development Underwriter – Lutine
- Gavin Pumford, Head of Operations – URIS
- Paul Exton, Head of Broker – URIS
- Max Burrows, Head of Risk & Compliance – URIS
- Richard Allen, Head of IT – URIS
- Ian Barclay, MD of Retail Property – URIS
- Adrian Scott, Underwriting Development Director, Specialty Lines – Geo
- Paul Longhurst, Broking and Distribution Director – Bishopsgate
- Matt Green, CEO – IDEX Consulting
- Louis Hyatt, Group Life & Disability Underwriter – UniLife
- Damien Natale, Event management company – Allezspotives